Friday, January 22, 2010

Error 18 Unable to create a manifest resource name resx file.

Now that's an interesting error, and scared me as hell. I got a new machine with Windows 7 on it. Since I am actively involved with tons of projects, I decided I would get them as I need them.

That's what I had to do this morning; I had to work on one of the ASP.NET 2.0 project, so I went to the TFS to get the files. Everything compiled successfully except for the web project. And the error I received was "Error 18 Unable to create a manifest resource name XXXX.resx file. Access to the path 'C:\Projects\ClientName\XXXX.cs' is denied."

This is one of the projects which we upgraded from ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0 and uses globalization with resources files. When I looked at the folder structure, I noticed that all the cs files were downloaded as (empty) folders. Way to screw up TFS. By the way this was the first time TFS ever screwed up on me.

Anyways, I removed the entire client folder, went through the same process of getting files and had the same result. Now why does that remind me of "Foolishness is doing the same thing trying to get different result", but i digress.

Finally I removed the files inside the folder; so all those cs folder were gone and this time when I went over the process, the thing worked like charm.

Anyone ran into this issue? Is this TFS screwing up?

Happy coding.


No comments: